Monday, September 19, 2005

My First 5K & Squirrel Hunting

It was an eventful weekend!
Woke up really early on Sunday to do my first 5K! I kinda promised myself that I would do it when my PET was clear, so I did it! I ran the Leawood Cancer Awareness Run in 25.57. See how I stack up against everyone else here: http://www.mararunning.org/canawarem.html I'm still sore from all the running, but at least I can say I did my 5K!

The next afternoon, I finally caught me my first squirrel! Its a long story, but i'm going to tell it anyway... This oddysey started about 6-8 weeks ago, when we noticed wood chips at the floor of the garage whenever it rained really hard. We found a squirrel nest up near the eave of my roof. No explaination why he decided to make a home there, but he was really mad when I tried to get him out! If you want to make a squirrel growl at you, try poking a stick into his nest... That will do it. So we waited till he left the hole to go shopping/looking for food, and I very cleverly stuffed 2 garbage bags into it, so he couldn't get back in. The next afternoon, he pulled out both bags, and spread them across my lawn! Here's a picture of the damage that he did!

That's how the quest to catch Dennis the squirrel (like Dennis the Menace) began. Pitiful attempts were made at first with a mouse trap and a smaller cage... So I finally shelled out the big bucks and got a larger cage, and used peanut butter and bread for bait. 2 days of setting and resetting the trap, we finally caught Dennis today!

Needless to say, he wasn't very happy when he saw me! I had a few choice words for him myself, but i think we encountered a language translation issue. Here's a picture of him in his temporary home. Don't worry though, Dennis was dropped off about 10 miles away from the house near some trees. Mind you, I found him some nice Pines to climb and and down on. Hopefully he'll enjoy them better than in my siding...

No comments: