Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I do NOT direct traffic at the Grandview Triangle...

"So what do you do at your new job ah?"... "Well, I'm a Traffic Supervisor" *Silence* "So, is that like anything to do with directing traffic at the intersections so that we get to work on time?" *Sarcastically* "Yep! They gave me a White half-shell helmet, and a pair of white gloves on my first day! ; Then they asked me to get on this little scooter...."
So, no. My new job does not, and probably will never involve physically directing automobile traffic either at the Grandview Triangle, or at the Mur-len & 147th St!

"So...what is it that you really do?", so people have asked me... Well, for the last 2 weeks at least, I have found being a supervisor in general involves LOTS and LOTs and LOTS of meetings! I've been to more meetings in the last 2 weeks than I have ever been to in the last 6 months! Yeah...and I have to start reminding people about admin stuff, like mandatory training etc. So, I think before long... I'll need to walk by with my coffee cup, and ask people about "coversheets"... BTW, Yeesin has FORBIDDEN me to wear two-toned shirts, the ones with the collar a different color than the rest of the shirt! "YEAH....I need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday....."

Seriously though, its a nice career change for me. Instead of only worrying about getting my own stuff done, I need to think about a group of people. Have to resist the urge to jump-in, and take care of it myself... Its a different way of getting things done, but it is waay busier than I expected. Definitely a LOT more paperwork than I expected too! Most of my time (outside of meetings) is spent documenting action-items, working on long-term stuff for the team as a whole, reporting...the list goes on. I'm beginning to appreciate how busy my ex-managers used to be... PLUS, I'm wondering if paperwork duties propagate upwards and increases in quantity as we go up in the management chain... Probably the only guy that doesn't do lots of paperwork is the guy on TOP of the org chart!!??

2 comments:

Nick 10 said...

Wahhh....congrats dude. So now tauke besar ;)
Have fun in SF...

Anonymous said...

YS is smart on the shirts!

Congrats.

Terri