Sunday, February 12, 2006

Week 1: Malaysian Oddysey

Wow, its been a week for us here already! 1 more week until the Wedding dinner, and 1/3 of the way through our current schedule! Here's a quick recap of the highlights of the week so far:

Day 1: Jet Lagged. Got off the plane at KLIA at 12:40pm. Tried to stroll past customs with our bags. They let Yeesin past without incident, but flagged me. I think they sensed the BENG in me. Instead of ruffling through our bags looking for contraband, they X-RAYed them ???!!! They let us go through, and we're too tired to complain... Got into Penang at 4pm, looked at samples of YS's photoshoot dresses. Finally get to sleep. :)

Day 2: Eat Chee Cheong Fun (CCF) for breakfast that morning. Maybe its me, but i recall CCF used to be a lot bigger portions. The same goes to the rest of the hawker food out there. Oh well, just ordered more of other food like Laksa, Penang mee to make up the difference. Forgot that napkins are not free, but stray cats are part of the eating experience. AHH... home. Rushed to the Photo Studio to pick dresses for YS's photo shoot + wedding dinner.

Day 4: Photoshoot day. Woke up at the crack of dawn (actually at 9.30am, but felt like crack of dawn. My other half likes to sleep in.) YS and I got made up by Barry, our slightly wrist-challenged make-up artist for about 1 hr. Barry made YS look like someone I don't recognize, and gave me a very nifty double eyelid for my left eye. Didn't help the enlarge the sizing of my eyes, just made one larger than the other! Started driving out for the photoshoot with our one man team (photographer, tour guide, and expert aggressive driver) Garry. He used to photoshoot for professional models, so he must have found me hard to work with. I mean, the man can only do so much, can't squeeze water out of stone. Let just say that he wasn't holding back comments when shooting. "Bo Sui (Ugly)", "Tau Gai (Uneven eyes)", "Been Bui" (Fat Face) were common words... YES. No holding back. A beach, a lonely forest road, and a bank later (Yes outside STandard Chartered Bank in Downtown Penang), we were back in the studio for the remaining wardrobe changes. By 8pm, we are finally dONE!! I leave the studio with my fingers crossed, maybe they will make me look good. And NO. That pic is not a shot of us... Just an idea of what we might look like. ;)

Day 6: Pick Pictures for photoshoot. We're sitting at the studio trying to figure out how to choose 21 shots paid for in the package from about 100 shots in the contact sheet. Garry & Barry did good, bruised ego aside I didn't look too bad. YS OBVIOUSLY looked great. Figured out that we'd have to give in to the scam and pay up for more pictures @ 80 RM per picture, chose to print 25 shots. They even included a huge flag-like banner to display at our wedding dinner. We'll bring that banner back and put it on our front door next halloween. I think my pasty white face will work for scaring the neighborhood kids. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah..funny post. Great to hear from you guys. Have a good one! =)

Anonymous said...

:) glad u guys could do yr photo shots. Gordon and I opted out... wonder if we will regret it 10 years from now....;) Keep having fun... 2/3rds of a vacation to go.. and time flies!!!

Nick 10 said...

Oooooh have a good one guys!!!! me so jealous of CCF...I want some!

Anonymous said...

Aiyoh, you all torturing us with all the pictures of food.

So, had fun with your photoshoot? Can't wait to see them.. hehehe