Thursday, March 30, 2006

Hey... whatever happened to these guys...

I was just listening to some retro songs to my nano this morning, and it got me wondering.... Yep, I guess I'm old now, whatever was "hip" is now considered "retro". I'll dread the day when I have to listen to "oldies" and grumble at " the trash kids these days are listening to".

Whatever happened to the classic love bands, people like Michael Learns to Rock, with their nuggets of wisdom on love... I admit I used to listen to them when I was in high school. I mean, it can't get any better cheesier than "I'm not an actor I'm not a star... and I don't even have my own car...that you will love me anyway". I doubt advice like that will get ANYONE very far (either in the 90's or today).

So... anyway. Whatever happened to MLTR anyways? For one thing, I think they lost a dude somewhere along the way. If my memory serves me right, I thought they were 4 guys. Must be the usual creative differences. BUT they are still alive and SINGING.. Maybe its me, bit strangely , after listening thru 2 of their old CD's I think their songs sound awfully similar....

Hmm.. how about this fella? Gasp?!! Tommy Page? Yep, the guy that broke many an Ah-lian's hearts back in Klang... Actually Yeesin still has a cassettee tape of "Paintings in My Mind" in her Beetle, so I'll include Penang in my previous statement as well. I gotta tell you tho, that "I'll be your everything" song was pretty touching back in the day!!! And if you go to his website, you see that he cleans up pretty good these days. BTW, his songs are so popular that you can stream it from his site as well!!

Last one that comes to mind. The guy with the BIG voice. Come on DOWN mr Rick Astley! With golden hits like "It would take a strong strong man" & "Together Forever" , how can he disappear into eternal obscurity? I always wondered how a big voice like his can come out from that small of a frame... Gotta tell you tho, he sure is resilient. I think he had an album out last year!!



One things for sure, old retro bands/singers don't really disappear, they just fade into the background until you google them one day to see what happened to them... ;)

2 comments:

Clarice said...

How about the British group 'Take That' and the 'Pet Shop Boys'?
So I guess you like my MLTR's collection huh?

Anonymous said...

Take That... I love that band. Yoda says, "Retro though they may be, out my favourite's collection they will never become".

Tze, speaking of MLTR, a few weeks ago I just participated in an MLTR karaoke session with your former neighbor (Mei Ling) who now resides in New York City. Sad to day, MLTR songs seem a tad slow for karaoke.

As for Tommy, I used to like him until I hit that "I gotta flex my male ego and start pounding my chest like a gorilla stage". I still enjoy a few of his songs though...